Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

Pin It
I have a new recipe for you!
This was my second attempt making quinoa and I must say I love having it as an option to throw in the mix of dinners.
This dish had really great flavor.
We actually ended up having some left over, so the next night for dinner I actually made nachos with it. I just added tortilla chips, cheese, and lettuce for a meatless version of nachos, and it was really good.
And it doesn't hurt that this is super simple to throw together :)
(Serves 4)
Ingredients
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 15 oz can of corn, drained
½ small red onion, diced
Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp ground cumin

Recipe
Add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a medium-sized pot and place over high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pot with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat, and fluff quinoa with a fork. Pour cooked quinoa into a large bowl.
Drizzle the warm quinoa with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl – this includes the beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and cumin. Toss well to combine.

For a printable version of this recipe click here.

Recipe adapted from here.

9 comments:

  1. We LOVE quinoa and eat it quite a lot. I'm always glad to try new recipes
    This salad looks great (very colorful too) and I have no doubt we're going to like it t :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM! I didn't know quinoa could look so good - can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle … Visiting from Dawn's Disaster Twitter Hop ... I am always looking for new Quinoa recipes. Thanks for sharing!! PS. I am a sun and sand girl and LOVE the name of your blog! Especially during this time of year LoL

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum I have just recently discovered quinoa and even more recently learned how to say it right! But I like it and this dish with it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting the hang of quinoa here too. So far I have only put it in soup. I may try this later today I'm already hungry for lunch lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I can't wait to try it! Love quinoa.
    Found you via Happy Kids blog hop, now following via GFC, hope you can stop by my blog and follow too!
    Carolyn
    http://www.ccmcafeeperspective.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. A terrific way to use quinoa. THANKS! Stopping by as co-host of Homemade link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Southwestern Quinoa Salad looks delicious, can't wait to try it.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...