Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Super hero cupcakes

Pin It
Yesterday was a special day in our home.
The light of our lives turned 4 years old!
I just have to take a moment to brag here, bare with me :)
My little man is the sweetest, most caring, considerate, helpful, imaginative, playful, happy, handsome little guy.
I am so thankful that we were blessed to have him in our lives.
He is our everything!
We did not have a birthday party though, if you remember, we had a BIG Avengers themed party back at the end of August before we moved so he could celebrate with family and friends one last time.
(For that party we had a 
Check those posts out as well if you haven't before, they're freaking awesome :)
Ok, so since we did that huge party, we decided when it was his 'real' birthday we would just celebrate with the 3 of us.
We had a busy day full of activities and play.
Even though it was just us, I HAD to have some sort of cake so he could blow out his candles.

Since my son's 'birthday' party back in August he has been learning more about other super heroes.
His obsession has grown to now include members of the Justice League (Batman, Superman, Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern, etc), as well.
I first started out with just the Captain America shield cupcakes, but my husband challenged me and pushed me to try something more difficult.
I'm glad he did, because this is what I came up with.
I was really pleased with the outcome.

The Justice League themed cupcakes.
The Captain America shield cupcakes.

 For the Captain America shield cupcakes, I just started with a star in what I considered to be the middle.
I just free-handed it.
 Go around the edges with the blue, and make it into a circle.
It doesn't matter if the edges look a little messy, you'll be covering it up with the next color anyways.
 Add the red and white lines, and you're done!
The Batman cupcake was my first 'hard' one.
I grabbed a pair of my son's super hero undies (yes, you read that right, don't worry, they were clean!), and I just looked at each symbol, and again free-handed it.
I 'drew' on the cupcake with frosting lightly at first, because I had no idea how it would turn out. That way, I could scrape it off and start over if I needed to.
I was pleased with how it looked, so I filled in the bat, and then went around the edges with yellow.
Again, the same technique was used for Green Lantern's ring.
My son and my husband both informed me that I used the wrong shade of green for the ring.
My bad!
Now I know for next time :)
The lightening bolt for the Flash.
My son was particularly excited about this one.
He thinks he is the Flash, and we don't tell him otherwise,
you should see him run ;)
I saved Superman for last, because it seemed like this would be the hardest one.
I actually drew the design on a piece of paper first, just to see if I even had the slightest clue of how to do it.
It wasn't too bad, so I moved on to the cupcake.
Again, I lightly drew the design first.
I then filled in the red.
I thought it looked pretty ruined, but I decided to keep going.
Added the yellow.
Looking a little better.
Then finished off with the blue and black detail.
My son decided he needed to decorate a cupcake as well.
This was his masterpiece.
I think I've got a little artist on my hands :)



21 comments:

  1. I bet those super hero cakes didn't last long! I love the one your son made he will be taking over icing duties when he's a bit older!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness these are awesome. I better not show my husband or he will want some of his own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute cupcakes! Found you on "Follow Me Wednesday!" Hope to see you following back soon...you are way closer to 100 than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER cute!! We have two boys and have a feeling when my Husband sees these they will be at the next B-day party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle! Super cute cupcakes ~ happy birthday to your little one! Over from the Creative Headquarters Hop and now following :) Hoping you'll be able to stop by :)

    Love the name of your blog too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! [pun intended]... following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are very talented {and have an amazingly steady hand} when it comes to cupcake decorating! Mine would look like... well, let's not go there, shall we? I bet they tasted great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thank you! It was a lot of fun to make them :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Michelle! Stopping by from the grow your blog, blog hop! Those super hero cupcakes are so stinkin' cute!! I have a 2 1/2 year old little boy that would go crazy over those!

    Would love for you to check out my blog =) dashofsun.blogspot.com

    Jenni @ A Dash of Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! By the way, I love the name of your blog :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for commenting and following me on the Thumping Thursdays blog hop. I am following you back.
    These cupcakes are amazing. I'm sure your super hero had a great birthday with those fabulous cupcakes. Thank you for sharing.

    Karina
    www.momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my 4 year old would love these!!! I found you on the Sugar Bee Crafts link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What kind of frosting did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a small tub of the Betty Crockery frosting.

      Delete
  12. How do you put the frosting on? And how did you dye them to get such bright colors? These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just used a Ziploc sandwich bag. I cut the tiniest corner off and then put the dyed frosting in the bag. For the colors I used 'Icing Colors' is the name on the side of the little bottle. It says concentrated paste, but it's more like a gel. I've seen them at Michael's in the cake decorating section. I'm not sure where else you could buy them, I was fortunate and inherited a bunch of colors from a family member.
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...