Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Magic Cookie Bars (Gluten Free)

Pin It
First of all, this will probably be my only post this week.  WE ARE MOVING ON FRIDAY!!  I figured we'll probably be busy with packing, saying good-byes, and lots of crying, so hang in there, I will come back as soon as I can!
First, a little history about my family and I.  
My mom is a Celiac.  
This means she has a severe allergy towards the gluten in wheat flour, rye, and barley.  She has had this allergy since she was in her early 20's.  In the last few years there have been a lot more cases of this allergy, which also means more knowledge about it has come out.  
I have been making this dessert for my family since I was about 8 or 9 years old.  We all love this dessert, but it's my mom's favorite by far.  I've made it for EVERY family get-together.  Sunday dinners, holidays, birthdays, you name it, it's there.
Last Sunday was our last Sunday dinner with my family, so I had to make it for them one more time.
When we left that night there were lots of tears.  I will miss both of our families very much, but I know this move will be good for us, and it will be a fun new adventure.  
Ok, on to the recipe!

This recipe makes 24 bars.
Ingredients:
6 c. cereal (I normally use Frosted Flakes because they're already sweetened, but I've also used Corn Chex, Corn Flakes, whatever I've got on hand, and just added a little sugar)
* When you are choosing any cereal for the crust, if you do have a gluten allergy, please check the ingredients label first, just to make sure it doesn't have gluten in it!
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. unsalted butter
Chocolate chips
sweetened shredded coconut 

Pour the cereal in a food processor and grind the cereal,
 Grease a 9x13 cakepan and pour in cereal. 
 Using a fork, mix the cereal and melted butter until it's all combined.  Then use the fork to press down the cereal to make a crust.
 Pour on all of the sweetened condensed milk, and spread it around to cover the crust.  Top with chocolate chips and coconut.
 Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.
Let them cool before cutting them into bars.  
(Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the bars cut up and displayed all cute, we always just eat them right out of the pan)  ;) Enjoy!!

15 comments:

  1. I love these bars!! Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this recipe is great! I never thought of making cookies with cereal. I bet they taste delicious!

    One thing to note, however, frosted flakes are not totally gluten free. They are sweetened with barley malt. These would be great for someone trying to lower the amount of gluten in their diet but not for someone who has Celiac disease.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy!
      My mom does have Celiac disease, she is allergic to gluten, barley and rye as well. I have seen some brands of Frosted Flakes that do say they have barley, but the Kelloggs's brand of Frosted Flakes actually does not have barley in it, it does have malt flavoring though. Malt flavoring is usually from barley, but can be from other grains as well. It's crazy that different brands can have different ingredients, we've learned that the hard way a couple of times!
      I pasted the info from Kelloggs below for you so you can check it out,
      http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-frosted-flakes-cereal.html
      Milled corn, sugar, contains 2% or less of malt flavoring, salt, BHT for freshness. CORN USED IN THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS TRACES OF SOYBEANS.
      Thanks for your comment!!

      Delete
    2. Your comment gave me an idea, I will make a note in there to check the label first when choosing a cereal for the crust. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. My husband is currently trying a gluten free diet so these are perfect for us right now!

    I would love for you to share these with my readers at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope he likes them! I'll head over and check it out, thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  4. These sound delish, Michelle. Either Post or Kellogs recently had a commercial about all their new gluten-free cereals, quite a few of them, actually. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia! Yeah, there are a lot more options out there now for people, it's great!

      Delete
  5. All I can say is, "YUMMY"...that sounds great and it is too late to be up running the food processor right now.

    I'm sorry you are sad about moving away from your loved ones. Hopefully you will have the same experience I had when I moved away...I really enjoyed their visits and they came often.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! It was sad to drive off and wave goodbye, but it's a good move for us, and our families will be coming out to visit in the Summer, so that gives us something to look forward to!!

      Delete
  6. Hey there! That looks SO yummy! I'm a new follower from the Weekend Blog Walk, and I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that look so super yummy!! I will be trying this recipe for sure. I am going to have to pin it for sure.
    By the way I am your newest follower from the weekend blog walk. Your site is awesome.
    Love
    The TT Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try, I just love how easy it is to throw together! Thank you, and welcome aboard! :)

      Delete
  8. Gluten free you say? Perfect! I'm loving my new GF life. I'm going to have Mike make me this for my birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting! I never thought of using cereal for crust, but my Gluten allergic husband will love! I was looking for an option for quiche crust, and here it is! You're awesome! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...